Pages

Wednesday, June 25, 2008

Checking in . . .

Just a quick check in to let everyone know I'm alive and well in revision hell. Well, not exactly hell, but challenging enough. One hundred and fifteen pages of my Catherine ms. have been cut so far. I've had to make some painful choices but I've also had some fun re-writing some stuff, too. With the release date for THE LAST QUEEN coming up fast (July 29!) I'm hoping to finish the revisions soon, but you know what they say about the best laid plans . . .

I did take a much-needed break to go to Los Angeles for an author video shoot with Expanded Books. Apparently, book videos are quite popular and my publisher wanted me to have one. The actual video will resemble a mini-History Channel featurette, with excerpts, a voice-over narration, and cuts to me talking about Juana. The shoot itself was great fun. The crew was so nice and they even had me help pick out the voices for the narrator and the woman who'll be Juana. My partner Erik took photos of the shoot, so I'll post them here once I get them downloaded. And of course as soon as I have the video I'll post a sneak peek :)

Otherwise, I got a new review from Romantic Times, which was lovely. I had been expecting the standard reviews from Kirkus, Library Journal, and Booklist, too, but apparently these aren't so standard anymore. In fact, they're rather hit and miss, I'm told, so any reviews coming in now, so close to release date, are very welcome.

I also designed and sent out my first e-newsletter. Some of you were on the mailing list, I think. Did you like it? Hate it? I'm never sure if these things are worthwhile, in that we get bombarded with so much stuff all the time I wonder if anyone needs or wants another newsletter? But it seems like a worthwhile endeavour to communicate with readers, and I'd welcome any feedback.

Karen Essex is my most recent interview. She's a lovely lady. I've got the incomparable Sarah Bower, author of The Needle in the Blood and The Book of Love, coming up for a two-part interview. I just read The Needle in the Blood and am in complete awe of her talent; it is one of the best historical novels I've read in years.

That's it for my update. Back to Catherine . . .

7 comments:

Daphne said...

I liked the newsletter and am looking forward to seeing your video. As a reader, I appreciate the time authors take out of their busy schedules to do these kinds of things. It makes me feel more connected to their books - almost like I'm invested in it before I even read it.

J.M. Aucoin said...

I agree with Daphne. The newsletter is nice. As long as you don't send a new e-mail out every week or every other day like some places do it's fine. Once-a-month e-mail updates are enough to remind people you're still around.:-)

I got two sent to me-- one was HTML and the other graphics. Unfortunately, I don't have either saved in my e-mail, but I think I liked the graphic one better... I'd have to see both again to be sure, though.

Good-luck with the rest of the revising!

Lezlie said...

Hmmmm. . . It looks like I'm going to have to check into Sarah Bower's books now. :-)

Good luck with Catherine! I can't wait to read it when all is said and done!

Lezlie
http://booksnbordercollies.blogspot.com

C.W. Gortner said...

You're all so sweet. Thank you so much for letting me know it's worth the effort, because getting a newsletter together isn't as easy as I first thought. I agree with Justin, though: once a month, max!

I did send out two versions of the same newsletter, too: the company I use suggests both an HTML and graphic one, in case people can't /don't read graphics.

And do check out Sarah Bower's books. I'm now reading her second one, Book of Love, set in Italy under the Borgias: marvelous!

Passages to the Past said...

Thanks for the little write-up about The Needle in the Blood - it looked so good that I already ordered it online! And I can't wait for your book to be out next Tuesday!

www.passagestothepast.blogspot.com

C.W. Gortner said...

Hi Amy,
I'm sure Sarah will appreciate the order! I've just gotten her interview and will post it next week. She has some fascinating things to say.

My book will be out July 29. I wish it were next Tuesday, though! Still, not too far away now . . .

C.W. Gortner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.