Pages

Friday, November 14, 2008

The Last Queen in Spain

On November 12, The Last Queen was published in Spain as La Ultima Reina. Just by coincidence, I recieved my author's advance copy the same day, and I must say, it's gorgeous. It's published in hardcover, and it has a wonderful matte finish and spot-varnished gothic spiral design on the edges that isn't visible on the JPEG of the cover. The translation is also marvellous; to read it in Spanish is strange, almost as though these are not my words. Plus, it reads so much richer, the language being so evocative of Juana herself.
This is the fun part of being a writer!

5 comments:

Passages to the Past said...

Congratulations...it is extremely beautiful!

Lezlie said...

Lovely!
Lezlie

C.W. Gortner said...

Thank you! You know, at first I wasn't sure about the cover; it looked too modern to me, but they did a great job with the actual book itself; it's by far the most unusual of the three foreign covers I've seen so far.

Bearded Lady said...

The cover is gorgeous. I design jacket covers too and I HATE the latest trend in using just the body of a famous royal (aka the decapitated cover) Sometimes designers do not even use the body of the royal king or queen covered in the book.

Congratulations on the new release!

C.W. Gortner said...

Thank you, Bearded Lady! I love cover design and watch trends closely; I'm thrilled you like this cover. I'm also tired of the headless royal. I'm getting a new US trade paperback cover for LQ; they're going to use a photo from the UK shoot, featuring a model in a gown. I'm looking forward to seeing it. I like my UK cover, too.